Learn how to make sushi rice too!
Do you like crispy things? I know I do! Ever since I had tasted crispy rice sushi at a sushi joint in Santa Monica, I have been hooked. I’m sure that sushi joint fried the rice in oil to make it crispy, so it has inspired me to make a healthier version with an airfryer. I tried this recipe a few years ago in San Francisco, my husband and friends loved it. Now I am passing this on to you.
You will make nigiri as you normally would, but I found a shortcut to do it with a bamboo rolling sheet. I learned that by using the bamboo sheet, I can add edges to my sushi which then would hold toppings easier. If you already have your own sushi rice recipe, feel free to use it. I included an easy method in my video in case you need it. Basic sushi rice always has mirin and a very tiny bit of sugar (or not sugar). As for toppings, you can add anything you fancy – some ideas include raw fish, tamago (egg), vegetable, meat, spam or wherever your imagination takes you, really. For this recipe, I got some sashimi grade tuna which I will make spicy tuna out of it. I decided to not use mayo because I wanted to minimize calories.
If you have not bought a sprayer for oil yet, I highly recommend that you do (if you want to be healthier, that is). This spraying method will not only work with an airfryer but also works with regular frying pans too. Good bye calories!
- 150 grams of sashimi grade tuna
- 2 green onions
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of siracha sauce
- 4 cups of cooked rice
- 3 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- a few sprays of olive oil
- make sushi rice by adding vinegar and sugar onto cooked rice
- mix the rice mixture thoroughly
- slice and dice tuna into small chunks
- make spicy tuna topping by adding soy sauce and siracha sauce into finish
- then mix fish texture thoroughly
- place rice onto plastic wrap and bamboo sheet
- roll, squeeze and mold rice into a long even strip
- make sure the rice is tightly packed
- wet knife and fingers to cut rice into nigiri chunks
- wet fingers and mold rice chunks into final nigiri chunks
- place them into AirFryer
- airfry nigiri rice for 13 minutes in 200°c
- add and decorate spicy tuna toppings onto crunchy rice nigiri
- serve and enjoy!